31 March 2011

Beloved (Ir)regulars - Part I

The people I find myself coming into contact with at my place of employment never fail to amaze me. It's interesting to see the kinds of humanity in the world with whom I would probably have no interaction with, other than the fact that I work at a very eclectic, interesting bar that attracts people of all kinds. I have come to recognize and appreciate some of their existences. Somewhat akin to the theme song from Cheers,maybe these people do just want to go "where everybody knows your name..."

Mr Bud Smoker & Drinker...
Preferred Beverage: Budweiser
Smoke of Choice: Pall Malls & weed
A grad student that I would guess is in his 40s, maybe older, who happens to be ridden with palsy, this man will stagger in, always dressed in a rather snazzy fashion, his reddish hair and glasses looking somewhat akin to Austin Powers. He will sit at the bar some nights until we close, his voice utterly distinguishable, his stupor increasing. Since he lives around the corner from the bar (where he comes from, as well as where he returns to, is a mystery to me),he has the luxury of not worrying about driving- although I would assume his health condition would prevent him from having a license.
We closed on Saturday night and he stayed until the end. When everyone cleared out, he remained. He then proceeded to pull out a fat brick of some mid-grade schwag, break it up on the bar, along with a small one hitter, packed that shiz up, and proceeded to toke some weed in the middle of the bar.
With my thoughts going from shock to entertainment to fear, I then watched Randy decide that our head kitchen guy, Derek, needed a big block of weed for his tip out. This is when it got downright funny. He stuck it in Derek's envelope when all was said and done.
This man is an interesting and bizarre regular.

The Tall Redhead Realtor...
Drink preference: Gin & Tonic
Smoke of choice: Roll your own tobacco
He has one of my favorite names in the world, because it's my dad's name, and when I told him that, it probably freaked him out to a degree. Always well dressed, shirt tucked in, khakis donned and pressed, his choice in gin can fluctuate (understandable, the good stuff is pricy). The way he rolls his own tobacco is really cute. He has a very distinct laugh, not often heard (he seems to be the quiet type). Recently bestowed him with a buckeye someone in KY gave me. I always give him one of my shift drinks, because he rocks and I enjoy seeing someone enjoy gin & tonic (gin & I had to take a break.. we haven't been on great terms for years now).
Recently I rode with him to Alex's, an after hours bar. He has a huge red truck. I found out he is a realtor or works with housing of some kind. Probably a college graduate, very nice, also loves Modest Mouse. One person I would miss if I quit seeing him.

Mr Green(hair)
Drink Preference: Hoppy ass Sierra Nevada
Smoke of Choice: I acutally don't know!
At 38 or so, you would think one might be done with their crazy hair phase, but this guy has had this green tint to his hair since I met him 3 months ago. He always drinks Sierra Nevada. The last time he came in for an extended amount of time, he was with some people from the Czech Republic. That was the day before St. Patty's; the next day he came in, ordered his usual, only had 2, and informed me that he'd spent the night in jail in the suburbs for falling asleep at a stoplight. That was the last day I saw him, St Paddy's.

The Future Yale Attendee
Drink Preference: Pabst Blue Ribbon
Smoke of Choice: American Spirits
What a talented, intelligent, complex, captivating human being. Short, Asian, maybe even shorten than me, he is excited to report that he will be attending Yale shortly to pursue a Master's. He is monotone when he sings on karaoke night, even if he's doing one of the most hyped up songs ever). Soft spoken and timid, he attracts people to him like moths go to fire.. only he is not harmful. He's polite, caring, and he has a very bright future. He got a full ride to his first year at his Ivy League school. I know he's a brilliant artist with a great eye for photography. He never seems to be in a bad mood. One of the nicest people ever. I will miss him tremendously when he moves on, but I am really proud to have had the privilege of knowing him.

Crazy Karaoke Asian
Drink Preference: Bud Light
Choice of Smoke: I can't recollect, but I know he does it
This man is one of the coolest people. Ever. He has huge gauges in his ears, emanates the whole skinny jean, tight t-shirt, punk hipster persona. Every Wednesday, this guy throws the fuck down on some Karaoke. When he gets drunk, he becomes a hyper kid with all the conveniences of being potty trained and in control of his own life. When he's not around to punk it out & dance like he means it on Wed night, he's still cool as hell. Just this evening, I caught a glimpse of him dancing with an empty chip basket on his head. I'm going to have to get to know him better...

(More frequenters coming soon. This is the tip of the iceberg...)